How to successfully export a project from Adobe Premiere Pro to Pro Tools through EDL
The Regular Method
The most common method of transferring a project from Adobe Premiere pro to Protools are Either AAF or OMF, Both are successful in transferring the files and the work good,
Step 1 : Arrange your audio
Make sure all your audio files arranged systematically: make sure that there are no overlaps. If its not you will have issues while importing ti into protools.
- Make the first track of the first set of audio files on same track
- Make the first track of all the second layer of audio files on the same track.
Note that the audio track of the 4th clip and 5th clip were overlapping, so I have move down the 5th clip audio to the next layer
See that the 4th clip and the 9th clip, were starting on Audio Track 6 and Audio track 7 respectively and the 8th clip was starting on audio later 2. So I have rearranged it so that the the first layer of audio starts on track 1 and the second layer of audio starts on audio 8. Like this is there are more audio layers, say a third one, all third layer of audio should start from the same track.
Step 2 : Export to EDL
Once you do the above step, select File>Export>EDL in premiere pro. The EDL export dialogue box appears.
Select use Original Audio Filename if you want to preserve the actual file name,
Audio 1 should be the audio track of the first later of audio, and audio 2 should be the first track of the second later of audio.
You can have a maximum of 4 layers of audio in an EDL file, if there are more than 4 layers, you will have to export multiple EDL files,
Step 3 Importing to Protools
Protools natively doesn’t import EDL, So you will have to use other softwares like Titan (There are plenty) to create a Pro tools session. These softwares create a protools session from hte EDL file and then you can open that session in Protools.
Here are the screenshots to do it.
2. Open the EDL file in Titan
4. Now show where the actual Sound Files are.
5. Tess Titan where to store the Session FIle
6. Tell Titan how to rename the files, Whether according to the clip name or Filename
7. Now titan will try to find all the files and copy it into the session folder.
8. Now open the protools session file.